Sunday, October 18, 2009

Ooey Gooey Apple Crisp with Oatmeal Streusel


My brother went apple picking last weekend and brought me back a bunch of apples after telling him I wanted to make a pie. Well, the thought of making the pie dough seemed too much for me at the time so I finally decided to make an Ooey Gooey Apple Crisp instead.


Ok, so here's what you need. Preset your oven to 350 degrees.
Take an 8x8 pan or 9x9 pan and butter it up. Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine 1/2 cup brown sugar (dark or light brown, whichever is in your pantry)

Then Add 1/2 cup rolled oats (uncooked)

Then add 1/3 of a cup of white flour

Add a pinch of Kosher Salt, about 1/2 teaspoon

Mix together till dry ingredients are combined.

Then cut up 4 table spoons of COLD butter, and mush together with your fingers with the dry ingredients. Crumble it up till well combined, should take about 3 minutes. Set aside.

Peel 5 apples, core and thinly slice each one. Place apples in a separate bowl and use lemon juice to keep them from browning. I used a mini cookie cuter to cut out the cores, not that anyone would see these when the Apple Crisp is cooked, but love went into it.

Add 2 tablespoons of sugar to the apples.

Add 1 or 2 tablespoons of ground Cinnamon (pending on your taste).

Next I added a tablespoon of Apple Brandy, but you don't have to add this. I find desserts to always taste a bit richer with some brandy in it, but that's just me.

Mix the apples, sugar, cinnamon and brandy together. Once the apples are coated, place them in the bottom of the greased pan.

Sprinkle the Streusel Crumble topping on top of the apples. Place in the oven for 50-60 minutes, until the apples are tender and the crumble top is golden.

Serve Warm...




No comments:

Post a Comment